The required disclaimer!

This blog is NOT an official Fulbright Program blog. The views expressed are my own and not those of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or any of its partner organizations.







Monday, February 28, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance...KHI Style

Friday was the 7th graduation ceremony at KHI (KHI Graduation Links) with 324 graduates in the disciplines of Physiotherapy, Nursing, Bio-Medical Laboratory Sciences, Dental Therapy, Ophthalmology, Medical Imaging and Environmental Health Sciences.  I would have been very happy to simply view the proceedings but as it turned out, I took on a larger role as I agreed to lead the academic procession and carry the institute's mace.  It was quite an honor, but for those of you who need a good laugh, try out this image.  You can well imagine why I was concerned that this short very pale looking person might be considered more of a comic spectacle than a leader of a serious and consequential academic event. 
I am wearing the gowns that those (and there are very few) who have PhD's wear, not exactly my colors - green and pink with a really humorous hat and none of my PT colleagues from SC were there to help me dress.  Here are my new colleagues at KHI, a rowdy bunch when it comes to graduation ceremonies.


The ceremony was held in the KHI courtyard and we were lucky to have a day without downpours


I was actually not the first person to enter the procession, first came the dancers and drummers (here a photo of them relaxing before the ceremony).  These students performed traditional Rwandan dance while other students drummed and sang.  No Pomp, no circumstance for an academic procession here, just drums!

After the dancers two students carried the flags, then me, then the singers, then the faculty and the honored guests who included the Rector, the KHI board and the Minister of Education.  I got to hear for the first time the Rwandan National Anthemn (and for the second time at the end of the ceremony); Rwanda Nziza "Rwanda our Beautiful Country."  For a ceremony of only a few hundred graduates it felt long and hot and I was lucky enough to sit among the honored guests who got water bottles to drink because with the heavy robes and length of the day I was feeling a little dizzy.  There were speeches by the Rector, the Minister and a student speaker.  Awards for the "best students" and of course the conferring of degrees.  The speeches, quite different from the U.S. focused on the idea that these graduates are prepared now to serve their nation and to help with development; I couldn't help but think about the very different nature of US graduation speeches that focus on personal development and professional development as US gradautes leave their institutions prepared for further study, careers, earning money and families.  The ceremony was both similiar and incredibly dissimilar to the commencements I've attended in the U.S. sans the Elgar piece that is probably now running through your head.

After the ceremony there was a cocktail reception for the honored guests and faculty.  I stayed and personally met the Minister of Education (well we talked a bit about the possibility that I might provide some clinical services for his family and my teaching).  The day was long and unusual and 324 KHI graduates are now ready to serve Rwanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment