The required disclaimer!

This blog is NOT an official Fulbright Program blog. The views expressed are my own and not those of the Fulbright Program, the U.S. Department of State or any of its partner organizations.







Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting ready

On January 21 I expect to wake up, pull back the mosquito netting from around my bed, and start to figure out our life in Kigali, Rwanda.  For those who do not know, I will be in Kigali from January until late June as a Fulbright scholar lecturing and consulting at the Kigali Health Institute http://www.khi.ac.rw/.   Exactly what that means I'll learn in the next few weeks.  At this point I am still packing, getting our housing settled and finishing up some work at Springfield College.

Some months back I was at the Fulbright predeparture orientation in a room with a few hundred grantees each of us learning about our destination country and being inculcated to the Fulbright program and our new responsibilities.  Here is how the program was described to us:  "While each grantee has a specific teaching, research or professional project to pursue, it is important to recognize that your ultimate goal as a Fulbrighter is to promote mutual understanding and respect between the United States and other nations.  Fulbrighters are “cultural ambassadors” to their host countries and active and involved members of their communities upon returning home."   So now, Jim Phelps and I have something in common, my mission, should I choose to accept it (and I did) is to be a cultural ambassador, to participate fully in the experience in Kigali and to speak and write about my experience as widely as possible. 

Welcome everyone to my blog!

5 comments:

  1. I can think of no better ambassador! Safe travels and I can't wait to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Safe travels, and can't wait to hear more!

    Loren

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, Congratulations to you!
    Second, I eagerly await your bloggings!

    Catherine (in B.C.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second Congratulations to you from Catherine in Iowa. Pretty darn exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia,

    I'm so excited for you and also so happy for our country to have such a kind, cool, and brilliant ambassador. I know the people of Kigali will be thrilled to meet you as well! Can't wait to hear about all the adventures. Spare no detail!

    Valdez in Portland, OR

    ReplyDelete